The Northwest Branch of the American Society of Civil Engineers annually awards one $1,000 scholarship to a civil engineering student that lives within the boundaries of the Northwest Branch. This scholarship is to recognize the unselfish contributions to the civil engineering profession that were made by Mr. Harvey Goodell. Mr. Goodell provided leadership to the Branch for many years having been a LaCrosse area director from 1976-1984. He is most notably recognized by ASCE for his efforts in initiating and promoting the “Eminent Board” concept, which proposed methods for allowing private sector input in public engineering works. The hope of the Northwest Branch is that by awarding this scholarship, the spirit and enthusiasm shown by Mr. Goodell will be perpetuated.
- 2021 – William Berger
- 2020 – None
- 2019 – William Berger
- 2018 – Arielle Lewien, William Berger
- 2015 – Chelsea Morgan
- 2013 – Greg Schanen
- 2012 – Bridget Giessler
- 2011 – Isaac Groshek
- 2010 – William McElroy
- 2010 – Mike Stone
- 2009 – William McElroy
- Applicants must have permanent residence within one of the following counties (which comprise the Northwest Branch limits): Adams, Barron, Buffalo, Chippewa, Clark, Dunn, Eau Claire, Iron, Jackson, Juneau, La Crosse, Lincoln, Marathon, Monroe, Oneida, Pepin, Pierce, Polk, Portage, Price, Rusk, St. Croix, Taylor, Trempealeau, Vilas, or Wood. The map shows those counties in white.
- Applicants must have completed, or will complete in the present semester/quarter, at least one full academic year of study in the engineering curriculum.
- Applicants must be attending, or plan to attend in the following semester/quarter, one of the following ABET accredited engineering institutions: University of Wisconsin – Madison, University of Wisconsin – Milwaukee, University of Wisconsin – Platteville, University of Minnesota—Twin Cities, University of Minnesota — Mankato, Michigan Technological University, Marquette University, or Milwaukee School of Engineering.
- The scholarship will be awarded to one applicant, selected by the Northwest Branch Scholarship Committee, from all applicants meeting the eligibility criteria. Selection will be based on the applicant’s demonstrated interest in the profession as reflected by the application responses and the letter of recommendation.
Submit completed applications (preference one bundled document) by 5:00pm, May 31, 2022.
201 Main Street, Suite 1020
La Crosse, WI 54601
You may also submit electronically (PDF files preferred) to email@example.com Put the note “Scholarship Application” in the subject line. Please use additional sheets to answer the questions. If you have questions regarding the application, you may e-mail Corona or call her at 608-789-2034 during normal business hours. Mondays through Fridays.
Late or incomplete applications will NOT be considered.